Maintaining a good oral hygiene is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. People often disregard the importance of oral health care measures. This negligence can lead to long term repercussions. Research shows that our oral cavity has a very close connection with the rest of our body; in other words it has a profound effect on our general heath. Thus, it is paramount to look after our teeth. Here are a few tips that you can follow to maintain a good oral hygiene:
- Brush at least twice a day: It is best to brush after meals so that no food particle is stuck in your teeth. It reduces the risk of plaque build-up and cavities. It also gives you a fresh breath.
- Use toothpaste with fluoride: The presence of fluoride not only keeps your enamel hard but also reduces the chances of tooth decay.
- Use dental floss: Using dental floss may not seem that important but it helps take out anything that is stuck in your teeth reducing the chances of infection and gum disease.
- Limit sugary foods: The bacteria in your oral cavity break down sugars into acids which can lead to removal of enamel.
- Visit the dentist occasionally: Lincoln Park smiles dentistry is one of the best dental decisions. Get an occasional dental check up even if you have no dental issues. This will help you make sure that your oral hygiene is up to the mark.
Gum diseases often result due to the accumulation of bacteria in your mouth and this bacterial build up can travel down into your bloodstream leading to an increased cholesterol level within the arteries. This in turn increases the chances of a stroke or a heart attack. Thus is of utmost importance to maintain a healthy oral hygiene.